Big Green Drop Conference Game to Princeton

Courtesy: Doug Austin
Courtesy: Doug Austin

PRINCETON, N.J. – Dartmouth women’s hockey fell to Princeton, 5-1, at Hobey Baker Rink on Saturday afternoon. The Big Green dipped to 1-3-0 and 1-2-0 in ECAC Hockey play, while the Tigers picked up their first win of the season and improved to 1-1-2 and 1-1-0.

Sophomore Christina Rombaut the goal late in the second to pick up her first tally of the year. Junior Caroline Shaunessy and senior Hailey Noronha also ended the day with a point apiece by assisting on the play. Junior Christine Honor started the game and had 14 saves in 28 minutes. She was replaced by classmate Shannon Ropp midway through the second, who made 22 saves in 31 minutes.

“We ran into a very focused Princeton team right from the beginning,” interim head coach Joe Marsh said. “I thought we came out in the first 5-10 minutes with good energy, but a team like that that is as skilled as they are, if they get a few goals up and get a cushion, they become that much better. We were forced into playing their game as opposed to ours. For us, we didn’t do a lot of the little things we did last night. That’s not really a criticism. The kids were working really hard. Princeton is just a type of team that can pull away from us.

“I look at this weekend as definitely more glass half full than half empty,” Marsh continued. “We’ll take those two points from this trip. I like the effort they put forth and they didn’t stop battling, even when we were down, 7-1. I’m definitely not discouraged. We’re going to keep focusing and keep pushing.”

Junior Kate Landers gave Dartmouth its first opportunity at a goal early in the first, trying to stuff the puck into the left corner of the net following a cross from freshman Jennifer Costa, but netminder Stephanie Neatby was there to make the save. Princeton goals scored at 10:18, 16:18 and 18:23 gave the Tigers a 3-0 advantage.

Two more tallies before the midway point in the second period made it a 5-0 game. Ropp replaced Honor in net and, right off the bat, made a handful of key saves. At 19:04, with just a few seconds remaining on the 5-on-3, Rombaut scored her first goal of the season, tipping the puck into the left corner. This was the Big Green’s third 5-on-3 tally of the last four games.

The third period was a tough one, as the Tigers scored three goals in less than three minutes to give Princeton an 8-1 lead that would last until the final whistle. 

Having played four games on the road, the Big Green will now be at home for a record nine straight home contests, starting with a pair of non-conference tilts against Maine on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 4-5.