In its final home game of 2019, the Union College men's hockey team skated to a 3-2 victory over Merrimack on Friday night at Messa Rink. The Dutchmen have now won three of their last four games and they improve to 5-12-0 on the season, while Merrimack falls to 4-11-2.
The game also marks the first time this season that the Dutchmen have conceded more than one goal in a victory.
After Merrimack took the lead off a power-play goal in the second period, Union went on to score three-straight goals to claim a 3-1 in the middle of the third period. Smedsrud scored on the power play to tie the game at 1-1 midway through the second, while Liam Robertson scored his second of the season to give Union the lead at the 8:58 mark of the third period. Rinaldi then scored his fourth of the year less than two minutes later for the two-goal lead.
- Anthony Rinaldi and Chaz Smedsrud both had two-point nights, as each tallied a goal and an assist.
- First-year skaters Dylan Anhorn, Christian Sanda and Gabriel Seger all picked up assists in the victory.
- Taylor Brierley and Rinaldi were the lone upperclassmen to get on the score sheet.
- Both teams converted on the power play, as Union went 1-for-3 on the man advantage, while Merrimack went 1-for-2.
- Darion Hanson made 16 saves in net for the Dutchmen, earning his fifth win of the season. Jere Huhtamma made 22 saves in the losing effort for the Warriors.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
Union won't return to the ice until after Christmas, as the Dutchmen take part in Vermont's Catamount Cup, Dec. 28-29. Union will face-off against Vermont on the opening night, before taking on Providence the following night.