The No. 9/9 Quinnipiac men's ice hockey team score two third period goals Friday night but could not overcome the Arizona State Sun Devils in a 5-3 loss at Oceanside Ice Arena.
Ethan de Jong (North Vancouver, British Columbia) scored on a shorthanded breakaway early in the third period and Guus van Nes (Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Netherlands) tipped home his first career goal on a six-on-four power-play late in the third.
The Bobcats skated much of the final four minutes with an empty net as they attempted to come back from a three-goal deficit with van Nes finding the back of the net to cut the lead back to two before Arizona State came away with the win.
Skyler Brind'Amour (Raleigh, North Carolina) scored his second goal of the season with an early tally to give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead in the opening four minutes of the game but the Sun Devils scored three straight through the midway point of the second to take a two-goal lead.
Evan Fear (Winnetka, Illinois) made his collegiate debut Friday night as he played the third period and tallied 11 saves.
Quinnipiac 3, Arizona State 5
Quinnipiac (4-2-0, 0-0-0 ECAC Hockey) | Arizona State (4-3-0)
Oceanside Ice Arena | Tempe, Arizona.
- (3:18, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 0: Brind'Amour gave the Bobcats the lead early Friday night as he received a pass from van Nes on the back door for his second goal of the season
- (5:19, 1st period) – Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 1: The Sun Devils tied the game just over two minutes later as Jacob Wilson put home a rebound off his own shot
- (17:05, 1st period - PP) – Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 2: Logan Jenuwine scored his first of two goals Friday night with a power-play as he wristed home a shot from the slot to give the Sun Devils the lead.
- (10:38, 2nd period) – Quinnipiac 1, Arizona State 3: The Sun Devils scored a third straight goal at the midway point of the second period as Joshua Maniscalco ripped a one-timer from the left wing.
- (6:56, 3rd period - SH) – Quinnipiac 2, Arizona State 3: de Jong got a goal back for the Bobcats early in the third period on a shorthanded breakaway as he received a chip out of the defensive zone off the glass from Brind'Amour and raced into the offensive zone where he snapped one over Evan DeBrouwer's blockier.
- (8:54, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Arizona State 4: Arizona State once again answered two minutes later as Jack Judson buried a wrister from the top of the slot to reclaim Arizona State's two-goal lead
- (10:47, 3rd period) – Quinnipiac 2, Arizona State 5: Jenuwine put home his second of the game as he deked around goaltender Evan Fear (Winnetka, Illinois) off a feed to the top of the crease for the Sun Devils' largest lead of the game.
- (16:34, 3rd period – EA PP) – Quinnipiac 3, Arizona State 5: van Nes recorded his first collegiate goal with a perfect tip on the power play on a shot from Odeen Tufto (Chaska, Minnesota).
- van Nes recorded his first career goal and first multi-point game with a goal and an assist Friday night.
- He has points in back-to-back games after recording an assist for his first career point against Vermont last Sunday.
- Brind'Amour also recorded a multi-point night as scored his second career goal early in Friday's game and added an assist on de Jong's shorthanded goal.
- Brind'Amour has recorded two points in back-to-back games and now has points in four of his last five.
- He is one of two ECAC Hockey freshmen to record multiple two-point games this season.
- de Jong scored a shorthanded goal for his third goal of the season and now has points in three straight games.
- de Jong's shorthanded goal was the first of his career and first by a Bobcat this season and first since Alex Whelan at Brown on March 1.
- It was also just the third shorthanded goal by an ECAC Hockey skater this season
- DiLiberatore extended his point streak to a career-best six games as he tallied an assist on van Nes' power-play goal
- Tufto picked up his ECAC Hockey-leading eighth assist with the primary helper on van Nes' power-play goal
- Tufto now has points in three straight games and five of the first six games to open the season.
- O'Connor recorded an assist to give him points in two straight games and three of the four games he has played this season
- Fear made his Quinnipiac debut Friday night as he made 11 saves on 13 shots in 16:30 in the third period while Keith Petruzzelli (Wilbraham, Massachusetts) made 16 saves in his two periods of work for the Bobcats.
- The Bobcats and Sun Devils will battle once again Saturday night at Oceanside Ice Arena with puck drop set for 10 PM EST/7 PM MST.