Clarkson Pulls Out Overtime Win Against St. Lawrence

Clarkson Pulls Out Overtime Win Against St. Lawrence

A hard-fought battle in one of the fiercest rivalries in college hockey came to an end 1:48 into overtime when sophomore center Anthony Callin (Middleton, WI) knocked in a rebound for his first goal of the season to lift Clarkson to a 4-3 victory over St. Lawrence before a North Country crowd of 2,956 at Cheel Arena.

Ranked 11th in the nation, Clarkson improves to 4-2-1. St. Lawrence stands at 2-4-1. The archrivals will play again on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. in Potsdam to close out the non-league series.

The Golden Knights twice held two-goal leads, but the Saints battled back both times to force a 3-3 tie after 60 minutes of play.

Senior Haralds Egle put Clarkson in front midway through the first with a rebound goal at 12:56.

Junior Grant Cooper (Cornwall, ONT) connected for a shorthanded goal at 4:19 of the second period, finishing off a 2-on-1 with classmate Zach Tsekos (Montreal, QUE). Freshman defenseman Dustyn McFaul (Waterdown, ONT) picked up his first collegiate point with the second assist.

St. Lawrence got on the scoreboard with Andrew McIntyre's goal at 6:20.

With just 26 seconds remaining in the middle frame, sophomore defenseman Brian Hurley (Dellwood, MN) found a loose puck at the top of the right circle and fired in his first goal of the season to give the Green and Gold a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes. Junior Jack Jacome (Caledon, ONT) and senior Devin Brosseau (St. Lambert, QUE) assisted.

The Saints wasted little time in the third period to mount their comeback.

Jordan Steinmetz tallied just 46 seconds into the period, followed by Keenan Suthers' goal at 5:01 to make it a 3-3 game.

Callin came through with the deciding goal picking up a rebound off a shot by classmate Nick Campoli (Toronto, ONT) at the top of the crease and lifted in his seventh career goal. Senior defenseman Jordan Schneider (Toronto, ONT) also assisted. 

Clarkson received a big night from its penalty killers shutting down the Saints on all six of their man-advantage opportunities, including a five-minute major late in the second period. The Knights have now killed off 16 straight opponent power plays. Clarkson went 0-of-6 on its power plays against the Saints.

The Knights held a 36-26 shot advantage. Graduate student Frank Marotte (Longueuil, QUE) posted 23 saves, including 10 first-period stops.

Daniel Mannella had a strong game for St. Lawrence with 29 saves, including several point-blank stops. Mannella, however, left the game late in regulation with an injury after making a sprawling glove save on a shot by Egle.

Emil Zetterquist took the loss for the Saints, making three saves through 3:27 of action.