SCHENECTADY, N.Y. -- The Union College men's hockey team out-shot Rensselaer 15-5 in the third period, but was unable to overcome a two-goal deficit to start the final frame, and eventually lost 3-2 to the Engineers on Friday night at Messa Rink.
The game marks the first ECAC Hockey contest of the season for both teams, as Union now falls to 0-7-0 (0-1-0 ECACH) on the season, while RPI improves to 3-2-0 (1-0-0 ECACH).
- Senior Anthony Rinaldi scored his second goal of the season, recording his team-leading fourth point of the season, during the first period to tie the game at 1-1.
- First-year forward Gabriel Seger scored his first collegiate goal, scoring on the power play in the third period to bring the Dutchmen within one.
- Junior netminder Darion Hanson made 27 saves in the contest, including seven on the penalty kill, helping Union kill off all four penalties it received.
- Union went 1-for-4 on the man advantage, scoring its first power play goal since Oct. 6 vs Army West Point.
- The Dutchmen registered a season-high 26 shots on net, including a single-period best of 15 in the third period.
Up Next for the Dutchmen
Union heads to Troy to finish off the weekend series with the Engineers tomorrow, Oct. 26. Puck drop at the Houston Field House is set for 7 p.m. (ET).