Dartmouth Falls to Union

Dartmouth Falls to Union

HANOVER, N.H. – A three-goal, four-point night from Spencer Foo helped sixth-ranked Union to an 8-3 road win at Thompson Arena Saturday night against the Dartmouth men’s hockey team.

Foo scored twice in the second and capped the hat trick with his second power-play goal of the evening 2:02 into the third that gave the Dutchmen (20-8-2, 13-4-1 ECAC Hockey) two points and sole position of the top spot in the ECAC Hockey standings with two weekends left.

With his final goal, Foo became the fourth player in the program’s DI history to reach 100 career points. Mike Vecchione’s second-period assist also gave him 51 points on the year, setting a new single-season program record.

“It was just one of those nights,” head coach Bob Gaudet ’81 said afterward. “They’re a really good team and when nothing seems to be going your way against a team like that, they’re going to make you pay for your mistakes.

“It was Murphy’s Law, really,” Gaudet added. “I was happy with how we came out and responded in the third, but overall, we weren’t good and I’m not happy.”

The Big Green (9-13-3, 6-10-2) fell behind early as their counterparts scored three times in the opening frame before building the lead to six with the first three goals of the middle stanza.

Cam Strong scored the first Dartmouth goal of the night on a redirect high in the slot midway through the game. Troy Crema would score twice in the third, the final two goals of the night, to make it an 8-3 game. For Crema, it was his fifth two-goal game of 2016-17.

In addition to Foo, Union got scores from Cole Maier, Ryan Walker, Luc Brown, Sebastian Vidmar and Ryan Scarfo in the win.

Dartmouth actually had a 48-39 edge in shots on goal in the game, with 10 coming on three power-play chances. The Big Green went 0-for-3 on the power play, though, while the Dutchmen were 4-for-5 with their chances.

With such a high number of shots on goal, Union goaltender Jake Kupsky had to be sharp, and he was, stopping 45 in the win. Devin Buffalo made 19 saves, including 16 in the opening period, but was relieved after allowing five goals. Freshman Adrian Clark came in and stopped 12 in the final 33:47, while allowing three.

“They (Union) played well and we didn’t,” team captain Carl Hesler said. “If we can take anything from this game it’s that we played well in the third period. I thought we won battles and played our game in that frame. We can take that with us and build on it moving forward.”

The Big Green will look to rebound at Brown next Friday night before heading down to New Haven to take on Yale the following evening. Both games are set for 7 p.m. starts.