Clarkson Loses to UNH

Clarkson Loses to UNH

A fast start by the Clarkson University Hockey team on Saturday night would not hold up as the University of New Hampshire scored the game's last three goals to gain a 5-3 road victory in non-conference action at Cheel Arena.

The Golden Knights, who shut out Merrimack 4-0 on Friday, stand at .500 on the year at 2-2. Clarkson will continue its season-opening, out-of-conference action against Hockey East foes when it plays at Providence and UMass-Lowell next weekend.

Postgame audio from Head Coach Casey Jones

Clarkson jumped out to a 2-0 lead before the game was 10 minutes old.

Senior Troy Josephs opened the scoring just 94 seconds in when he completed a rush down the right wing, flipping in a wrist shot from the bottom of the right circle in off the far post for his first goal of the season. Sophomore defenseman Aaron Thow and his blueline partner, junior Kelly Summers assisted.

Sophomore Juho Jokiharju picked up his second goal of the weekend when he gathered in a loose puck in the slot and fired in a shot at 9:52. Freshman Devin Brosseau earned the assist.

UNH got one back with a power-play goal by Patrick Grasso at 13:51, stuffing in a shot at the top of the crease.

The Wildcats tied it at 9:49 of the second when Dylan Maller's shot through traffic found its way into the back of the net.

Just 70 seconds later Jokiharju put the Green and Gold back on top, finishing off a pass play from freshmen Nico Sturm and Brosseau from the right circle for his third career score.

Once again, however, UNH tied it up with Grasso's second goal of the night, scoring off a faceoff win by Liam Blackburn at 16:10 to make the score 3-3 after 40 minutes.

The Wildcats continued to press in the final frame, outshooting Clarkson 13-10 over the final 20 minutes.

Tyler Kelleher scored the final two goals, connecting for the game-winner at 18:21 and sealing UNH's first victory of the season with an empty-net tally at 19:28.

Both teams had 32 shots. Freshman Jake Kielly posted 27 saves, including 22 over the final 40 minutes.

Clarkson struggled on the power-play going 0-of-6 and could not connect on a lengthy 5-on-3 opportunity early in the third period. UNH was 1-of-5.

Danny Tirone made 29 saves in the win for UNH.