Union Stages Late Comeback to Beat Brown

SCHENECTADY, NY—For the second consecutive night the 20th-ranked Union College men's hockey team erased a deficit late in the third period, scoring three goals in the final 4:50, to take down Brown, 6-4, Saturday night at Messa Rink. The Dutchmen, who defeated Brown for the first time since a 7-1 win on Dec. 5, 2014, improve to 8-2-1 overall and 4-0-0 in ECAC Hockey, while the Bears go to 0-4-0 overall and 0-2-0 in conference play.
Charlie Corcoran gave Brown its first lead of the game at 13:31 of the third, putting Brown ahead 4-3, but Eli Lichtenwald answered at 15:10, cleaning up a rebound in the slot after Ryan Burton's initial shot was stopped for his third of the season.
Cole Maier put Union back in front 50 seconds later when he jammed home a loose puck in tight. Maier put the game out of reach with an empty net goal at 19:39.
Senior forward Mike Vecchione and junior Spencer Foo each produced a goal and two assists to pace Union, extending their respective point streaks to nine games. Vecchione, who ranks second in career points in Union's Division I era (137), leads the nation with 14 goals and 24 points. Foo's 13 assists on the year also lead Division I.
Maier's two goals tied a career-high, while Brett Supinski also had a multi-point game, contributing two assists. Lichtenwald and Sebastian Vidmar rounded out the scoring. Senior goaltender Alex Sakellaropoulos continued his strong start, stopping 33 shots to improve to 7-0-0.
Cocoran led Brown with two goals, Sam Lafferty had three assists and Max Gottlieb had a pair of helpers. In goal, Gavin Nieto stopped 26 shots.
Union opened the scoring from a power play at 12:53 when Vidmar's attempted centering pass bounced into the net off the skate of a Brown defenseman.
Foo doubled the lead with another power-play goal at 18:45, firing a wrist shot past Nieto high on the blocker side from the top of the left circle.
Zack Pryzbek got Brown on the board at 2:39 of the second, but Vecchione responded at 12:02. Foo carried the puck in from center ice, muscling past one defensemen before splitting two more with a perfectly threaded pass to Vecchione. Vecchione corralled the pass and spun to his forehand, deking by Nieto before sliding his shot home.
Cocoran brought the Bears back within one with a power-play goal at 4:42 of the third from Gottlieb and Lafferty, and Max Willman potted the game-tying goal at 11:03.
Brown took its first lead of the game 2:28 later when Corcoran's shot from the point beat a screened Sakellaropoulos, setting up the Dutchmen's late rally.

Union, which improved to 5-0-0 at home this season, hosts St. Lawrence on Friday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m.